Why Do Things Happen the
Way They Do?
Teachings on Karma
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Emaho Center, Scottsdale, Arizona USA
13-14 April 2005
Part 1 [28 min] Download
- We all lead busy lives, but are we satisfied
with our lives? Do we think about what is missing? How will we
think of our life at the time of death?
- "I have to" vs. "I choose
- Setting our motivation when we go to work,
- How karma leaves traces on our mindstream.
Part 2 [15 min] Download
- How karma works. The 4 general characteristics
Part 3 [15 min] Download
- Ten destructive actions; ten constructive
- The value of taking precepts.
- The five lay precepts.
- Factors that make karma heavy or light.
Part 4 Q&A [29 min] Download
- How does being forgiving to other people
play into karma?
- Guilt and forgiving yourself.
- Is wanting a good rebirth a good motivation?
- Can we purify someone else's karma?
- If I'm generous because that will make me
wealthy in a future life, then that will impede my naturally acting
- What if we do something good for a bad motivation?
- What if you try and help somebody and you
do it wrong?
- Can young children create karma?
- If you didn't create the cause to be in the
building [on 9/11], what happens?
- If a Christian does something good in the
hopes of getting into heaven, does that create good karma?
- What is the role of enlightenment in creating
the experience of a Buddha?
Part 5 [25 min] Download
- We often ask if it is possible to achieve
enlightenment. Yes, because the fundamental nature of our mind
is clear. We are trying to remove the obstructions.
- We have been the recipients of much kindness.
Much of what we have is dependent on others. It is helpful to
meditate on the kindness of others.
Part 6 [12 min] Download
- Our past actions as the causes of our present
- Avoiding the "poor me" syndrome.
- How we are interconnected with other living
Part 7 [12 min] Download
Part 8 Q&A [8
- How do we deal with people who aren't so
open to reconciliation?
- Why is regret called an opponent power?
- Could you ruminate, i.e., get stuck on, regretting?
- What if you try and help but end up getting
taken advantage of?