Activism with Altruism: A Retreat
Venerable Thubten Chodron
Sravasti Abbey, Newport, Washington, USA
31 August - 3 September 2007
- Part 1 [28 min] Download mp3 file
- Introduction, topics that will be covered during the retreat and breathing meditation
Part 2 [56 min] Download mp3 file
- Environmental Activism - Generating the proper motivation
- Part 2 Q&A [37 min] Download mp3 file
- When we locate the cause do we find the solution?
- Because you are not personally involved with someone's misfortune is it OK to rejoice in his misery?
- Is this a form of attachment, we work very hard and things to do not turn out the way we want them to?
- Can things change based on our expectations?
- Part 3 Q&A [33 min] Download mp3 file
- Cynicism among young people, what can we do to help?
- Fear of change - discussion of the difficulty of giving up something that is really bad because it is too scary to live without it.
- How do we make responsibility attractive?
- Part 4 [75 min] Download mp3 file
- Discussion of motivation and a discussion of other emotions, panic and fear as opposed to relaxed and calm.
- Part 4 Q&A [46 min] Download mp3 file
- Request for advice when you live in a home where your family does not practice Buddhism.
- Discussion of creative endeavors and motivation.
- What does a well-balanced life look like?
- Part 5 Q&A [39 min] Download mp3 file
- What is all the bowing about?
- If we want to help someone because we want to feel good about ourselves, how do we re-direct that intention?
- Please explain the meaning of right livelihood.
- Question about ritual in Buddhist practice.
- Part 6a [39 min] Download mp3 file
- Review of judgmental attitude discussion
- Part 6b [32 min] Download mp3 file
- Proper understanding of kindness and compassion
- Part 6 Q&A [77 min] Download mp3 file
- Discussion about using equanimity to have compassion for both sides of an environmental problem.
- Discussion about having patience for our own actions that harm the environment.
- Recognition that everyone who invented items that are now polluting the environment had a good motivation to benefit people.
- Discussion of the importance of bringing the Dharma to all sentient beings.
- Where does responsibility fit into the environmental issues and how do we avoid feeling like a victim?
- What are the motivations we should remember when we wake up in the morning?